Wednesday, August 14, 2013

The Companions (The Sundering #1) by R.A Salvatore---A review

The Companions (The Sundering, #1)The Companions by R.A. Salvatore
My rating: 5 of 5 stars

Received as an ARC through Netgalley from the publisher Wizards of the Coast.

The Companions by R.A Salvatore, the first book of the new series The Sundering, is excellent in almost all areas of measuring a book including action, writing, plot, and character building. The writing was top of the line! Having read several R.A. Salvatore books in the past, this shows extreme maturity as a writer, not saying at all his other works were not good (they were very good) but I was extremely impressed with his writing here. This book took about 75-100 pages to really pull me in but once it did I couldn't put it down. I read it almost straight through in a few hours finishing the last 40 pages the next morning. The different plots were woven together expertly. The Drizzt monologues were beautifully written and my favorite parts to read. The pacing was great throughout the book and the action and dialog scenes mixed and flowed perfectly. The characters were all highly developed, even though we know a lot about them from the previous books. The ending was shocking in a way but it makes me crave more books about the Companions of the Hall. Also, the cover is amazing!

The Companions is a must read for all fans of The Forgotten Realms http://www.wizards.com/dnd/Catalog.as..., especially of R.A Salvatore's Drizzt series Homeland. I believe all followers of Drizzt would love this book! For those not familiar with Drizzt, this is a great jumping off place to spark interest in other Realms books. All fantasy readers should try this book. I can't wait to read the next book in The Sundering series called Godborn by Paul S. Kemp Godborn

View all my reviews

No comments: