Thursday, September 12, 2013

My Review of The Bone Season (The Bone Season #1)-Samantha Shannon

The Bone Season (The Bone Season, #1)The Bone Season by Samantha Shannon
My rating: 4 of 5 stars

4.5/5

I thoroughly enjoyed this book; I believe it mostly lived up to the massive hype surrounding it. It's a large mix of fantasy genres including, historical, paranormal, dystopic, urban as well as science fiction. There are swords and guns and being from other dimensions. There is alternate history dating from the middle 1800's until the time this story takes place which is the year 2059. There are secret societies made up of the clairvoyants, of which there are 7 categories/types. The main character is a young woman who is relatively well developed as is a major secondary character, The Warden who I liked best. The book is primarily driven by dialogue rather than narration which usually irritates me but I thought it was well done in this book. The writing is well above average and also easy to read. The main character is a late teen girl and I read in several places this was considered an adult fantasy novel however this book definitely has crossover appeal for YA readers. At times this book has a lot of jargon to learn specific to its world and at times I was a bit confused about certain plot elements and powers of certain characters. I do believe some things could have been better explained. This may make this book a bit difficult for less advanced YA readers but not for the advanced readers.

To me, this book was very fresh, highly imaginative, and fun to read. I can't wait for the next in this series. Highly recommended for all fantasy readers, especially if you liked The Hunger Games which this kind of reminds me of in terms of pacing and imagination. Give this a try; its well worth your time!

View all my reviews

No comments: